Under Principle four, Signatories and supporting organisations of the Methane Guiding Principles commit to advocating for sound methane policies and regulations that incentivise early action, drive performance improvements, facilitate proper enforcement, and support flexibility and innovation.
With that in mind, a subset of the Methane Guiding Principles initiative developed detailed recommendations to support timely European Union (EU) legislation that achieves ambitious methane emissions reduction outcomes across the supply chain of natural gas consumed in the EU.
Individual support from signatories and supporting organisations is indicated at the end of each set of recommendations.
The recommendations cover a number of key policy areas highlighted in the EU methane strategy:
- Methane policy recommendations for the EU – Monitoring, Reporting & Verification of Oil and Gas methane emissions
- Methane policy recommendations for the EU – Leak, Detection and Repair
- Methane policy recommendations for the EU – Upstream Venting and Flaring. This Upstream paper complements an April 2021 mid- and downstream publication: Recommentations-on-Venting-and-Flaring.pdf (marcogaz.org)
- Methane policy recommendations for the EU – Addressing methane emissions from all gas consumed in the EU
- Methane policy recommendations for the EU – Reducing methane emissions in the agricultural and waste sector